Here’s a list of books I’ve read so far in 2009:
1. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
2. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs
3. An Anecdoted Topography of Chance by Daniel Spoerri et al
4. The Lazarus Project by Aleksandar Hemon
5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. Studies in Classic American Literature by D.H. Lawrence
7. Remainder by Tom McCarthy
8. The Pit: A Story of Chicago by Frank Norris
9. The Order of Things by Michel Foucault
10. Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
Not bad for one month, but really it just makes me wish I could get away from Orals List reading long enough to crack open 2666, which is now looming imperiously over my bed. Unfortunately, non-school-related reading of that magnitude is not going to happen until mid-March. By that time, though, the English translation of The Kindly Ones will finally be available as well, and I can rip through two massive, depressing novels as a reward. Or I’ll fail my oral exams, and I can rip through two massive, depressing novels as an act of self-flagellation. Whichever.
Also, here’s a picture of Paul McCartney for you to cry to.